Orange County CoolSculpting ® Blog
Does CoolSculpting ® Yield the Same Results as Liposuction?
Yes, and No. Those who live in Los Angeles or Orange County and are considering fat removal have two options: Liposuction and Cryolipolysis (marketed as CoolSculpting ®). Liposuction is an invasive procedure that requires days or weeks of recovery time, while CoolSculpting ® has no recovery downtime and is non-invasive.
How Does CoolSculpting ® Work?
CoolSculpting ® was first approved in 2010 after a group of doctors realized what happens when a person gets frostbite: the fat cells freeze before the skin and surrounding tissue freezes. CoolSculpting ® works based on this realization.
A section of skin and underlying fat is inserted into a freezing cup. The device freezes the area for an hour, which causes the fat cells to die while leaving the skin and surrounding tissue and muscle untouched. The dead fat cells are then slowly dispersed through the liver and are cleared out through the urine.
Are the Results Exactly the Same as Liposuction?
In order to get results comparable to liposuction, careful and skillful planning for treatment by a skilled practitioner with multiple treatments are needed. Recent studies published in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal have found:
- Cryolipolysis is effective in reducing the fat just beneath the skin.
- Of the adverse effects reported, only three cases of mild or moderate pain were reported. These cases rapidly resolved.
- A growing demand for CoolSculpting ® has drastically increased in the two years of the studies. Men also show a growing sector of patients.
- With careful treatment planning and proper applicator placement, CoolSculpting ® produces results that are comparable to liposuction after several treatments.
- The device, which is a molded cup, is placed over the area being treated. The heavy-duty suction pulls the fat bulge into the CoolSculpting ® paddles where it is chilled for approximately an hour.
- Approximately 20 percent of the fat cells in the cooled area are destroyed and disposed of by the liver.
- There is little risk of skin injury.
- As the fat leaves the body through the liver, the blood levels of fats in the blood do not rise.
- The number of treatments needed depend on the amount of excess fat and the practitioner’s skill.
- The best patients for the CoolSculpting ® are those who can pinch and draw the fat between their fingers.
- A session takes less than an hour without the need for anesthesia.
- Multiple areas can be treated at the same time. The sessions last about an hour.
- Once an area has been treated, it can be treated again. The suggested time for retreatment is around 2 months.
- Results take between two to four months to appear based on the body’s ability to flush out the fat cells.
- The only side effects reported are redness, mild pain or bruising for a few days after treatment.
- Typically, there is a 20 percent reduction in fat, but this final result is based on multiple treatments.
If you are interested in a non-invasive way to rid your body of those pesky pockets of fat that just won’t go away with diet and exercise, CoolSculpting ® is for you! Discuss your options with one of the board certified plastic surgeons at Orange County Plastic Surgery. With a free consultation, our experts will explain the process and develop a plan with you to meet the goals you have for fat removal. Contact Orange County Plastic Surgery today and begin your journey to a leaner, well sculpted body.
Dr. Agha Patient Testimonials
Click here to read more patient testimonials5 stars based on 63 reviews
Real Patients. Real Reviews