What Is Cellulite? – Orange County
Cellulite, also known as adiposisedematosa, is a unique condition where the skin appears to have areas of underlying fat deposits. These fat depositsgive the skin a dimpled, lumpy and unappealing appearance. Cellulite is typicallyfound on the buttocks and thighs.
Cellulite is often classified into three grades:
- Grade 1 – Cellulite is only found through the microscopic examination of cells
- Grade 2 – Cellulite causes the skin to show pallor and decreased elasticity
- Grade 3 – Cellulite causes visible roughness of the skin
Causes of Cellulite
While the actual causes of cellulite are not completely understood, there are several theories about why it forms, including:
- Hormonal Factors –Hormones, like estrogen, insulin, noradrenaline, and prolactin, may play an important role in cellulite development
- Genetics – Specific genes are required for cellulite development, and has led to the thought that specific factors, including gender, race, slow metabolism and circulatory insufficiency, could predispose an individual to the development of cellulite
- Diet – People who eat a lot of fat, carbohydrates, and/or salt and too little fiber are more likely to have higher amounts of cellulite
- Lifestyle – Cellulite can also be more prevalent in smokers, people who do not exercise, and those who sit or stand in a singular position for long periods of time each day
- Clothing – Underwear with tight elastic across the buttocks can limit the flow of blood and could contribute to the formation of cellulite
Acoustic Radial Wave Therapy (ARWT)
While cellulite can affect both men and women, it is more common among females. Dermatologists estimate that cellulite affects up to 90 percent of women at some point in their lives. Luckily, there are new medical advancements that can help diminish the appearance of cellulite. One such option is Acoustic Radial Wave Therapy (ARWT).
“Radial waves” are unfocused low pressure acoustic waves that are created by an electromagnetic ballistic mechanism. During the ARWT process, the radial wavesare transferred into the tissue using the ballistic mechanism. The waves impact a large treatment areaby:
- Improving the blood circulation
- Improving the metabolism of fat cells in the collagen structure and the skin connective tissue
- Reducing the fat tissue oedema
- Improving the lymphatic drainage of the toxins
ARWT has been shown to successfully diminish the appearance of cellulite by helping skin to become more elastic and firm. The results are visible after only a few treatments, with the initial indication of improvement being increased firmness and increased smoothness of the skin in the treated area.
Along with the reduction of the appearance of cellulite, ARWT can be used for:
- Deep tissue massage
- Lymphatic drainage
- Body shaping and skin elasticity improvement
ARWT with Dr. Agha
Dr. Siamak Agha, a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in Newport Beach, Orange County, offers a wide range of cosmetic surgery and non-surgical options. He is considered an expert at Body Contouring, which has led to his own development of cutting-edge techniques such as Abdominoplasty, Spiral Thighplasty, and Buttock Reshaping.
Dr. Agha has extensive knowledge of human anatomy and thoroughly understands the changes that occur to the body due to ageing, weight loss, pregnancy, and life style. One such area of understanding is the development and treatment of cellulite. Using ARWT, Dr. Agha can reduce the appearance of cellulite in the thigh and buttocks areas, leaving behind a smooth and more youthful look. For more information, contact Dr. Agha’s Newport Beach office.
Dr. Agha Patient Testimonials5 stars based on 63 reviews
Real Patients. Real Reviews